Becket, Chapel-on-le frith, Derbyshire
APR 3 Report on the visit
St. Mary and All Saints Great Budworth, Cheshire.
The first trip for the start of the sixth year of Churches
and Pubs was on a cold but
nice sunny day and saw 42 of us set out for Great
Budworth in Cheshire. If you
have not been to Great Budworth it is well worth a visit.
It is a very pretty village
with houses of many ages and kinds, and at the heart sits
St. Mary’s, a lovely red
We were met by the local historian Robert Steele who gave us an
excellent talk on the history of the church which dates mainly from the
15th and 16th centuries, though the lady chapel dates back to the 14th
century. All the exterior walls are battlemented. Inside
there is much to see including a fine 15th century font and five 13th
century oak stalls, thought to be the oldest of their kind in Cheshire.
There are several memorials to the Warburton family including one
made of alabaster to Sir John Warburton from 1575 to one to Sir Peter
Warburton from 1813. Next to the lychgate, which was erected in
1920 as a memorial to the dead of World War 1, are 18th century stocks
After lunch in the George & Dragon, opposite the church, most of us
had a walk round the village where you could buy fresh eggs and
3 Report on the visit St.
Margaret's (The Marble
Many of us have driven down the A55 in North Wales and admired the
‘Marble Church’ in Bodelwyddan with its 202 feet delicately
carved and graceful spire. On July 3rd the Churches and Pubs group had
the opportunity to visit St Margaret’s, otherwise known as the
‘Marble Church,’ where we enjoyed a very informative and
somewhat surprising talk.
Built in 1860 as a memorial to Sir Henry Peyto Willoughby de Broke by
his wife, Lady Margaret, this church has a richness of design with
exquisite stone and wood carvings. Our first surprise was that
the church is mainly built of native limestone, its popular name being
derived from the fourteen different types of marble within the church
itself. The oak hammer beam roof is held together with wooden
pegs and dowels- no nails having been used in its construction.
Outstanding features are carvings of the heads of Sir Henry and Lady
Margaret which can be seen both inside and outside the church, with
their names being found in large letters hidden amongst the ornate
carvings. Marble pillars are topped with carvings of local flora
and fauna and the solid oak eagle lectern and magnificent pulpit are
especially noteworthy. The font is unique in design and is
personal to the family as it features two lifelike figures of Lady
Margaret’s nieces holding a large shell.
Finally, in the graveyard we found over a hundred graves of mainly
Canadian soldiers who died of the Spanish flu, whilst stationed locally
during World War 1. The graves are beautifully maintained by the
Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
After a feast of creativity, with a strong family feeling in the
church, we repaired to a local hostelry for a welcome meal.
SEPT 4 Report on the visit St.
members enjoyed a very informative talk from the Churchwarden.
The Parish of Prestbury dates back to AngloSaxon times - probably to
the seventh century. The church is most likely the fourth to
have stood on this site. The third - the so-called Norman
Chapel - stands in the churchyard..
The main body of the church (the nave and chancel) were built from 1220
to 1230, only about 20 years after the completion of the Norman Chapel,
to accommodate a large and wealthy parish. The South Aisle
was added in 1310. The original North Aisle probably also
dates from this time, but the Tower and West and South porches were
added around 1480.
The oldest part of the church now is the Bell Tower, which today has
eight bells, and is reputed to have the best ring of bells in the
After a very interesting tour, we retired for lunch to the Legh Arms,
Thanks once again, Paul, for an enjoyable visit.
DEC 4 Report on the visit St
Thomas Becket, Chapel-en-le-Frith. 4th Dec 2013.
The last churches and pubs of the year took 52 of us on the short trip
to the parish church of Thomas Becket in Chapel. We were welcomed with
a hot drink of tea or coffee. Beyond the market place at the top
of Church Brow, its churchyard
bordered by a row of magnificent limes, stands the parish church of
Thomas Becket. The first chapel was built about 1220.
Today the church tower forms a conspicuous landmark rising above the
trees on the summit of the hill above the town. The present church
stands on the same site as the original chapel. The older parts of the
church are built with local millstone grit which is pinkish in colour
and was quarried at Crist quarry near Buxworth. Upon entering the
church the first thing you notice are the oak box pews, dating from
1834, which are very good at keeping the winter draughts out. The
windows on the south isle have wooden frames while those in the rest of
the church have stone mullions and
The nave roof was originally plastered and when this was removed during
restoration work in 1890 the ‘Tie Beam’ roof was revealed.
There are various memorials on the walls above the choir stalls,
including several to the Bagshawe family of Ford
In 1648 the church was used as a prison when 1500 prisoners of the
Scots army, under the Duke of Hamilton, were incarcerated within the
limited space of the church from 14th to 30th September after the civil
war battle at Ribblesdale near Preston, in Lancashire. Forty four died
before their release and many more did not survive the march which
followed, with a further ten dying before they reached Cheshire. The
church yard contains several items of note. Close to the foot of the
tower is the pillar of a Saxon cross found built into the wall and
brought from Ollerenshaw Hall in 1924. The old sundial on a stone stump
nearby is at least 300 years old and the shaft may have stood in the
After an enjoyable morning at the church we all travelled the ten
minutes to the Beehive pub at Combes where an excellent three course
Christmas lunch was
Many thanks to everyone who has supported this group, in particular
those who have given lifts and written reports. We hope to start again
next April 2014.